Going into a care home if you get benefits

ou must tell the office that pays your benefit as soon as possible if you go into a care home for one night or longer. You should also tell them if you stay in a hospital and get benefits.

A friend or relative can call for you.

What you need to report

You need to give your:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • partner’s details (if they’re on your claim)

If you’re calling about a friend or relative, you need to give your name and contact details too.

You’ll need to give details of your stay, including:

  • the name and address of the care home you’re staying in
  • the date you were admitted
  • the address you were living at before you were admitted
  • details of how your stay is being paid for
  • the name of your local authority or council
  • details of a power of attorney or appointee, if there is one

If you’ve stayed in more than one care home, you need to provide these details for each stay. This includes the date you were admitted and the date you left each care home.

You also need to give details about any stays in hospital in the 28 days before you were admitted to the care home, including:

  • the date you were admitted to hospital
  • the date you left hospital
  • the name of each hospital you were in
  • if you moved between hospitals
  • where you were discharged to, for example your home or a care home

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.

If you live in Scotland

You’ll also need to give details about your application for free personal and nursing care, if you’ve made one.

How to report

Who you tell depends on which benefits you get. You might need to report your change to more than one organisation if you get more than one benefit.

State Pension and Pension Credit

Call the Pension Service or report changes by post.

Attendance Allowance

Call the Attendance Allowance helpline.

Disability benefits

Call the Disability Service Centre if you get:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Universal Credit

Report a stay in a care home using your Universal Credit online account if you have one or contact the Universal Credit helpline.

Housing Benefit

Tell your local council if you get Housing Benefit.

Other benefits

Call Jobcentre Plus if you get:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If the person you care for goes into a care home

If you claim Carer’s Allowance, report a change online or call the Carer’s Allowance Unit.

Benefits you can claim while in a care home

You can claim some benefits during your stay in a care home if you pay for all of your care yourself. You may be eligible to start or continue claiming:

Going into a care home if you get benefits – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *